My Joy Through The Years~
Monday 1/17/11 was a big day for Kimbo. She turned 14! And me? Well, I think I spied more gray hair that morning when I woke up. Just kidding. I have thought about her life often these past several days leading up to her birthday, and am reminded (again) that God does hear our prayers and answers them ~ according to His will always. Following are some pictures of the past 13 birthdays celebrated and ending with Monday's events. Enjoy this glimpse into the joy that is Kimberly:
![]() |
| Kim - 1/17/98, age 1 |
At age 1 - This was her first time to taste cake! She didn't know quite what to make of it. She did enjoy the Animal Crackers and icing. The cake? Well, much of it ended up being worn by her; but it was a good day overall.
![]() |
| Kim - 1/1999, age 2 |
At age 2 - By this time, Kimbo was tearing it up! She was walking, running, laughing and trying to communicate with complete words/sentences. I can't recall the cake from this birthday (this pic is the only one I had from that time; no actual birthday picture - for shame!), but I do seem to recall she laughed a ton and made all of us smile until it hurt.
![]() |
| Age 3 - 1/17/00 |
At age 3 - The Weido's had set up residence on Crabapple and this was her first birthday in that home. Can you tell by her expression how thrilled she was for cake?! This one didn't end up so much on her as inside her. ;)
![]() |
| Kim, age 4 - 2001 |
At age 4 - By now, Kimberly was talking in complete sentences - mimicking EVERYTHING she heard (I blush as I write because her dad was not very clean in his speech). She learned how to cut with scissors (see pic). Again, I didn't have a picture from her actual birthday celebration. I must have been clueless~ {Hey...no jokes about me being blonde please}
![]() |
| Age 5 - 2002 |
At age 5 - Kim was still in pre-school in 2002 and was looking forward to "big school" that August. We did a cookie cake from Great American Cookie and made a huge deal of this birthday for her. She was no longer my baby, she was my little girl. She was good at making friends, something that continues even now. I'm thrilled she has the ability to look past the appearance of a person and look straight to the heart.
![]() |
| Age 6 - 1/17/03 |
![]() |
| Age 7 - 2004 (and a few teeth less) |
At age 7 - Kimberly was a first-grader and loving being in elementary school. Even now, 3 full years since leaving, I hear from staff there who remember her with fondness. They actually
![]() |
| Age 8 - 2005 |
At age 8 - Academically, Kim exhibited excellence in many areas. For celebration of her 8th birthday, we had chocolate sheet cake and gifts a-plenty! This was our first year to celebrate it in my parents' new home. We also had a party at a local facility where kids could play arcade games, mini-golf (though not in January) and some other things. I think it was a great time!
![]() |
| Age 9 - 2006 |
At age 9 - Kimmie was more interested in sharing her birthday with others, so it was party planning time. This year we went to SciPort and the kids had a great time! Kim got to make ice cream using liquid nitrogen (handled, of course, by the expert). It wasn't too bad~
![]() |
| Age 10 - 2007 |
Age 10 - (DOUBLE DIGITS NOW FOLKS!) She got to celebrate her 10th birthday during a school day and was thrilled! We had a mini-party in one of her classes and then had a nice family celebration that evening. Can you guess what flavor cake she chose?
![]() |
| Age 11 - 2008 |
At age 11 - Kimberly was involved in gymnastics and really wanted to have a party at the gym she takes classes at. We booked that party shortly after her 10th birthday (ya think this place gets many requests for parties?). She had some friends come, though she was hoping that some others were going to make it who didn't. She had fun though. I remember that one of the party coordinators stated that we were the quietest group they ever had for a party. Hmmm - was that a criticism or compliment?
![]() |
| Age 12 - 1/17/09 |
At age 12 - Well, Kimberly just continued to amaze me. She was excelling in middle school and looking forward to 7th grade. She tried out for the show choir and was selected (something she didn't mention to me until I showed up at school one day during auditions - I was there for some other reason - and she came out of the auditorium). She made great marks and received several honors during her first year in middle school. She even got a 'boyfriend' (HELP!??!!?)
![]() |
| Age 13 - 1/17/10 |
Age 13 (TEENAGER?!?) - This was a very SPECIAL birthday because she officially became a TEENAGER. Oy vay! Aside from just a normal surge of hormones and all, she remained her loving and helpful self. She worked really hard and was able to make it on the Principal's List all 4 grading periods and a 4.0 GPA! (I cannot even claim earning those kind of grades; that honor goes to my sister and brother) Didn't really have any special plans [her request]; just a simple family celebration. She also was adjusting to having braces.
And that brings us to~
| THE BIRTHDAY GIRL |
Age 14 - Kimberly is now in her final year of middle school and high school is on the horizon. This has been a more challenging academic year for her, but she is taking things in stride. She is still in the show choir, on the National Junior Honor Society, a member of the Spartan Pep Squad (her 3rd year) AND has a role in the school musical to be held in April this year. Whew!~And she still finds time to help those who are challenged/disabled and make their day brighter. The faculty and staff at her school have fallen in rank behind those from her elementary in telling me what a pure joy she is to have and that we better find time to visit when we can once she moves onto Gator Country/The Swamp at CSHS. That's a tall order, but one I am happy to try and comply with...HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIMBERLY, MY DARLING! You are my joy, my sunshine and it is my unequivocal HONOR to be your Momma! (<3)
| 1/17/2011 - AGE 14 |
Matthew 19:14 (New International Version, ©2010)
Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”
What children take from us, they give.
We become people who feel more deeply,
question more deeply,
and love more deeply.
~ Sonia Taitz
Be blessed & be a blessing!













Comments
Post a Comment