Day 21: Consider This~
This holiday season really pounced on me. How about you? Man - are we a bunch of animals or what? From people nearly trampled just to get something on the shelves to rushing in traffic. It's downright dangerous! That is why my post today is aimed to slow you down, make you think, and hopefully bring your mind back to the real purpose we have this holiday. Starting tomorrow, my daughter and family will be traveling and my posts have been written ahead of schedule for your enjoyment. ~ Merry CHRISTmas!
Recently, like this past Sunday, our class was given a quiz about Christmas - well, the story in the Bible many of us are familiar with. It got me to thinking about Jesus and that is such a good thing for me to do. After living so selfishly for years, it is a great posture for me to keep my mind on Him and all He did for me because He loved me. Let's start with the foretelling of His coming found in Isaiah:
Isaiah 11:1-10 New King James Version (NKJV)
The Reign of Jesse's Offspring
1 There shall come forth a Rod from the stem of Jesse,
And a Branch shall grow out of his roots.
2 The Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon Him,
The Spirit of wisdom and understanding,
The Spirit of counsel and might,
The Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD.
3 His delight is in the fear of the LORD,
And He shall not judge by the sight of His eyes,
Nor decide by the hearing of His ears;
4 But with righteousness He shall judge the poor,
And decide with equity for the meek of the earth;
He shall strike the earth with the rod of His mouth,
And with the breath of His lips He shall slay the wicked.
5 Righteousness shall be the belt of His loins,
And faithfulness the belt of His waist.
6 " The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb,
The leopard shall lie down with the young goat,
The calf and the young lion and the fatling together;
And a little child shall lead them.
7 The cow and the bear shall graze;
Their young ones shall lie down together;
And the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
8 The nursing child shall play by the cobra's hole,
And the weaned child shall put his hand in the viper's den.
9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain,
For the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD
As the waters cover the sea.
10 " And in that day there shall be a Root of Jesse,
Who shall stand as a banner to the people;
For the Gentiles shall seek Him,
And His resting place shall be glorious."
Then I found this reference in Micah:
Micah 5:2 New King James Version (NKJV)
The Coming Messiah
2 " But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
Though you are little among the thousands of Judah,
Yet out of you shall come forth to Me
The One to be Ruler in Israel,
Whose goings forth are from of old,
From everlasting."
When you think of the Christmas story, I bet you think of only the New Testament accounts. But, based on what I found in the Old Testament, how rich a blessing to find that He was a promise to men long before He walked on earth. God kept His promise then, and He does even now. Not just with Jesus, but everything spoken does not return void. That is amazing!
Since the beginning of this month, I have dusted off my Christmas CD's and gotten myself and my Kimbo in the festive mood of the season. There are two songs that I'd like to share all or some of with you. They are just so perfect for what I just shared above.
The first is entitled "Redeeming Love" and was written by Bill Gaither:
From God's heaven to a manger,
From great riches to the poor,
Came the Holy Son of God, a little Child;
From the azure halls of heaven to a lowly manger stall Jesus came,
and He gave His life for all.
CHORUS*
From a loving heavenly Father,
To a world that knew him not,
Came a Man of sorrows Jesus Christ, the Lord;
In my wandering Jesus found me,
Touched my life with His great love,
And this Babe has grown to be my Sovereign Lord!
CHORUS:
Redeeming love, a love that knows no limit;
Redeeming love, a love that never dies;
My soul shall sing through-out the endless ages
The adoration of this great love!!
Wow!
This next excerpt is from a song called "Changed By A Baby Boy" and it is a great song for sure:
The kings had to follow a brand new star
Their lives were changed by a baby boy
No matter how long and no matter how far
Their lives were changed by a baby boy
I was searching for something I could not name until
My life was changed by a baby boy
I gave Him room and I am not the same because
My life was changed by a baby boy
He saved my soul and I want you to know that
I'm glad (I'm glad)
So glad (so glad)
So glad (I'm so glad)
My life was changed by a baby boy
~W
Recently, like this past Sunday, our class was given a quiz about Christmas - well, the story in the Bible many of us are familiar with. It got me to thinking about Jesus and that is such a good thing for me to do. After living so selfishly for years, it is a great posture for me to keep my mind on Him and all He did for me because He loved me. Let's start with the foretelling of His coming found in Isaiah:
Isaiah 11:1-10 New King James Version (NKJV)
The Reign of Jesse's Offspring
1 There shall come forth a Rod from the stem of Jesse,
And a Branch shall grow out of his roots.
2 The Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon Him,
The Spirit of wisdom and understanding,
The Spirit of counsel and might,
The Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD.
3 His delight is in the fear of the LORD,
And He shall not judge by the sight of His eyes,
Nor decide by the hearing of His ears;
4 But with righteousness He shall judge the poor,
And decide with equity for the meek of the earth;
He shall strike the earth with the rod of His mouth,
And with the breath of His lips He shall slay the wicked.
5 Righteousness shall be the belt of His loins,
And faithfulness the belt of His waist.
6 " The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb,
The leopard shall lie down with the young goat,
The calf and the young lion and the fatling together;
And a little child shall lead them.
7 The cow and the bear shall graze;
Their young ones shall lie down together;
And the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
8 The nursing child shall play by the cobra's hole,
And the weaned child shall put his hand in the viper's den.
9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain,
For the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD
As the waters cover the sea.
10 " And in that day there shall be a Root of Jesse,
Who shall stand as a banner to the people;
For the Gentiles shall seek Him,
And His resting place shall be glorious."
Then I found this reference in Micah:
Micah 5:2 New King James Version (NKJV)
The Coming Messiah
2 " But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
Though you are little among the thousands of Judah,
Yet out of you shall come forth to Me
The One to be Ruler in Israel,
Whose goings forth are from of old,
From everlasting."
When you think of the Christmas story, I bet you think of only the New Testament accounts. But, based on what I found in the Old Testament, how rich a blessing to find that He was a promise to men long before He walked on earth. God kept His promise then, and He does even now. Not just with Jesus, but everything spoken does not return void. That is amazing!
Since the beginning of this month, I have dusted off my Christmas CD's and gotten myself and my Kimbo in the festive mood of the season. There are two songs that I'd like to share all or some of with you. They are just so perfect for what I just shared above.
The first is entitled "Redeeming Love" and was written by Bill Gaither:
From God's heaven to a manger,
From great riches to the poor,
Came the Holy Son of God, a little Child;
From the azure halls of heaven to a lowly manger stall Jesus came,
and He gave His life for all.
CHORUS*
From a loving heavenly Father,
To a world that knew him not,
Came a Man of sorrows Jesus Christ, the Lord;
In my wandering Jesus found me,
Touched my life with His great love,
And this Babe has grown to be my Sovereign Lord!
CHORUS:
Redeeming love, a love that knows no limit;
Redeeming love, a love that never dies;
My soul shall sing through-out the endless ages
The adoration of this great love!!
Wow!
This next excerpt is from a song called "Changed By A Baby Boy" and it is a great song for sure:
The kings had to follow a brand new star
Their lives were changed by a baby boy
No matter how long and no matter how far
Their lives were changed by a baby boy
I was searching for something I could not name until
My life was changed by a baby boy
I gave Him room and I am not the same because
My life was changed by a baby boy
He saved my soul and I want you to know that
I'm glad (I'm glad)
So glad (so glad)
So glad (I'm so glad)
My life was changed by a baby boy
~W
Comments
Post a Comment