Empty Nest
Last Wednesday was a very big day for us in the Weido household -- my sweet KL departed for her next chapter: ETBU! She arrived safely and let me know that all was well (after a few texts from me asking her to let me know if she was alright and settled). I did pretty well on Wednesday - had my job to occupy my mind - so no tears fell. I knew I'd see her in a few days to finish moving her into the residence hall she was going to, so this momma was in a good place. KL would message me once a day to just let me know she was steadily meeting new people and having fun.
Saturday afternoon my folks and I drove our loaded vehicles to ETBU and met up with KL at her home on campus. We knocked out a pretty good bit and got her room somewhat put together. We went out as a family and had some good laughs. My folks left to return home and I went to my hotel (I chose to stay one night so that I could come back on Sunday and have some more time with KL hanging up her paintings and do some shopping) after dinner. Sunday morning, I was contemplating going back to sleep, KL texted me to come with her to church - so I met up with her and had a good time of worship. After church, we went shopping for some snacks and bug spray (her room seems to be a den for spiders) before lunch. After we had lunch at KFC, we went to the local WalMart to get some throw pillows for her bed and a few other small items. Once we were done, we went back to her room and started fixing things up for her. Once that was all finished, it was time for me to head home. That was HARD y'all. I really thought I was going to hold back the tears, but as soon as I looked at her and said "guess it's time for me to go", I could feel the lump in throat and sting of tears in my eyes. I was more than moved with grateful heart for the long hug we shared before I left her place (and I told her not to walk with me to car because I knew I'd be a mess if she did).
I'm thankful that KL has the gift of friendship and is so quick to recognize someone who is in need of a good friend. ETBU is a great school and place for her to grow in her faith. Even though I would love to have her at home, this is a good time for her to spread her wings to the full and fly high. I will watch her soar to heights even she has no idea she can reach. In the meantime, I'm thankful for my SLG (South Louisiana Guy) and his mom who are living with me (since April 2018)....their presence eases the intense sound of quiet in the house. Not only that, but the financial help they are providing will help keep KL at ETBU for the next four to five years.
I miss KL very much - but by the grace of God, I am confident that she is right where He wants her and doing what He has planned for her. I've done the best job I could as a single mom - tried to instill in her a sense of right and wrong; a will to fight for right and those who can't fight for themselves; a heart for charity and mercy. Somewhere along the way I hope I was a living example of Christ for her (yes, despite my mistakes along the way). I pray daily that God puts a hedge of protection around her, keeping her from harm, yet allows her borders to broaden so that she may serve Him.
KL, if you ever read this: I love you and I know without a doubt you will shine bright!
Be blessed & be a blessing ~
W


Love you mom
ReplyDeleteLove you more, Pooh-bear
DeleteYou have done well mom! Kimmie will only make you more proud to be her mom :)
ReplyDelete