Being Purposeful About Finding My Purpose
I'm sure I'm not the only one to ponder what their purpose in life is - right? Okay, maybe I am the only one who seems to voice this OFTEN. But, I do...ponder what my purpose is. Does anyone recall what the word means? Well, as defined in the Webster dictionary:
1 pur·pose noun \ˈpər-pəs\
: the reason why something is done or used : the aim or intention of something
: the feeling of being determined to do or achieve something
1 : the aim or goal of a person : what a person is trying to do, become, etc.
a : something set up as an object or end to be attained : intention
b : resolution, determination
2
: a subject under discussion or an action in course of execution
— on purpose
: by intent : intentionally
We were planned for God's pleasure - so your first purpose is to offer real worship.
We were formed for God's family - so your second purpose is to enjoy real fellowship.
We were created to become like Christ - so your third purpose is to learn real discipleship.
We were shaped for serving God - so your fourth purpose is to practice real ministry.
We were made for a mission - so your fifth purpose is to live out real evangelism.
Exodus 9:16
But I have spared you for a purpose—to show you my power and to spread my fame throughout the earth.
Psalm 57:2
I cry out to God Most High, to God who will fulfill his purpose for me.
Proverbs 16:4
The Lord has made everything for his own purposes, even the wicked for a day of disaster.
Proverbs 19:21
You can make many plans, but the Lord’s purpose will prevail.
Jeremiah 32:39
And I will give them one heart and one purpose: to worship me forever, for their own good and for the good of all their descendants.
: the reason why something is done or used : the aim or intention of something
: the feeling of being determined to do or achieve something
1 : the aim or goal of a person : what a person is trying to do, become, etc.
a : something set up as an object or end to be attained : intention
b : resolution, determination
2
: a subject under discussion or an action in course of execution
— on purpose
: by intent : intentionally
In past postings, if anyone has read them or taken interest, I have mentioned often feeling like the observer and not the participant. I also shared how being invisible became comfortable for me. When I became a mother, I couldn't be invisible any longer. Someone was counting on me to be active and a real participant in life - hers and my own. As a result, the pondering of my purpose was set afire and I have been on a quest of sorts ever since.
One conclusion I have come to is that, for a set season of life, my purpose was to be a good daughter and sister. For another season, I am to be a good mother and model for this up and coming generation my daughter is a part of. Those are attainable by my works and behavior. I don't question those even for a moment - and I'm proud to meet the work of this purpose. Being a good daughter, sister or mother are intentional objectives that I have. However, there is one objective that is not one of my own resolution or design. That is the purpose that I continue to seek out - God's purpose for my life.
What does God desire me to do for Him? What work does He have set for me to complete before I die and enter His Heaven? Those are just examples of questions that I ask myself and find myself trying to locate the answers to. I was sharing with a sister in the faith today about how I am scared I've missed 'it'. I don't want to stand before my Father and feel a pang that I've often felt with my earthly father - that of being a disappointment. She told me that when God was ready to reveal His purpose for me, it would be impossible to miss or neglect. Oddly, that really gave me a peace that I hadn't had in a long while. Oh, I am all too aware of all the talk regarding the four blood moons and the significance for those who are waiting for the coming of Jesus Christ. I am not oblivious to the fact that mankind has done a smashing good job on speeding along the judgment we, as mankind, face for our actions - or lack thereof. My sister in faith and I both seem to agree on one thing - God will not do anything until His time - and nobody, not even the Son, knows the time of the Second Coming. We've got to get ready and, as one who is a part of the family of God, that means we all have some serious testifying and evangelizing to do. There are hearts and souls to win for Christ and to neglect that PURPOSE is inexcusable.
I am not a theolgian of any significance, but I do know that my heart aches when I see the tolerance of sin growing. Folks - "the tolerance of sin IS sin" and I strive to be mindful of the traps the world sets in order to ensnare me. That is why I don't condone lifestyle choices that go against the Word of God or allow my daughter or myself to entertain those who participate in immorality or the acceptance of it. That is my choice - and it isn't the popular one. So what! I don't live to be popular - I live to honor God. Before you think I'm judging, be sure of this - I am not judging anyone. I am choosing to remain free from the corruption that comes when tolerance is allowed to grow. Before long, one will forget why a behavior or action was wrong - morally or spiritually.
Rick Warren wrote a book called The Purpose Driven Life: What On Earth Am I Here For and his points are simple:
We were planned for God's pleasure - so your first purpose is to offer real worship.
We were formed for God's family - so your second purpose is to enjoy real fellowship.
We were created to become like Christ - so your third purpose is to learn real discipleship.
We were shaped for serving God - so your fourth purpose is to practice real ministry.
We were made for a mission - so your fifth purpose is to live out real evangelism.
Do I have it all right? No. I'm sure I don't. But I know what makes my heart ache unconsoleably and what ignites a fire in me that can't be extinguished. There are so many things that are wrong in our depraved world and the only solution that will bring healing is JESUS CHRIST. What we need is so simple and yet seems to be the hardest for people to accept: A free gift that is given when we repent and surrender to God through Christ Jesus.
Here are some reminders from God's Word that just backs up what Rick Warren stated in his book:
Exodus 9:16
But I have spared you for a purpose—to show you my power and to spread my fame throughout the earth.
Psalm 57:2
I cry out to God Most High, to God who will fulfill his purpose for me.
Proverbs 16:4
The Lord has made everything for his own purposes, even the wicked for a day of disaster.
Proverbs 19:21
You can make many plans, but the Lord’s purpose will prevail.
Jeremiah 32:39
And I will give them one heart and one purpose: to worship me forever, for their own good and for the good of all their descendants.
Remember to be blessed and be a blessing ~
W
Comments
Post a Comment