What A Blessing! What A Treasure!

Hey y'all!  It's been awhile since I had much to say worth reading, so I hope you readers have been well.  All is well with my darling daughter and I, so no worries there.  If you may recall from earlier this year, I posted a brief topic on my paternal grandmother, Viola Sharp, who passed from this life into Glory with her most loved Father God and a host of family that had departed before her.  Well, those of us left to cherish her (and who were able to attend) gathered over the July 4th holiday weekend to celebrate her life and bury her ashes with her loving husband of 52 years.  I must say, it was wonderful to see aunts, uncles, siblings and my niece and nephew during the few days we had in Hot Springs, Arkansas.  We had laughs and fond remembrances of Gigi during that time.  Maybe someday soon, I will dig up some of those stories that Gigi had me document in biographies she wanted to leave her family descendants - all I do know is there are some real humdingers!!!

On the more somber note, it was hard for me to stand at the grave and realize that THIS was the last time I'd see her or, much more likely, visit her.  Though I rejoice knowing she is in Heaven with countless family members who were waiting for her to enter the presence of God, Gigi was a real blessing and treasure that is missed.  The void I have now is one that I have to trust God to fill and rest in His assurance that I, too, will be reunited with her one day.  Grief is one emotion that does not just miraculously disappear.  It does ease and I can say that is where I am - in a place of fond remembrance, with less tears.  Oh, my!  If Gigi knew I cried at her service, she would have smacked me a good one.  She didn't want any tears of sadness - so I said to her "these are happy, jealous tears".  Truly, I had both those emotions: happiness and jealousy.  Happy because she is in Heaven - likely singing in the angelic choir.  Jealous because I am left here, walking a life of faith in this corrupt, perverted world.

Now, I must share something that just did NOT come as a surprise to me - or any of the family.  Gigi had her celebration planned to the "T"...from what she wanted said at her burial to what would be said at her memorial service - from Scripture to hymns!  And, you know what?  She did an awesome job!  My mind draws a blank on the verses she selected (but I can get them), but they suited the type of lady of faith she was.  She lived out her faith daily.  Sure, some might think she was just a strong, stubborn broad - but that is what her faith looked like from the outside in.  I saw how she was differently.  I saw a woman who regularly read the Bible and got her Daily Bread from the LORD.  I saw a woman who trusted in God - in His providence, provision, protection, and purposes for her life.  Okay - so she liked her 5 o'clock martini, but that was something she did as long as I can remember and I never saw her overdo it.  She was a classy lady - and a lady with class is one who carries herself proper.  I can still see her enjoying a drink with my granddad and dad (other family members when they were visiting, too).

The only regret, if I can even call it that, hanging over my heart is that my darling daughter is not going to have the benefit of all the years with Gigi that I would have liked for her to have.  Years of sitting at her lap listening to the wonderful stories of her youth, her life with granddad, her kids and their adventures, the pets she loved throughout the years, etc.  I suppose those biographies she asked me to type up will have to suffice now; however, they are not a complete collection.  They just have to do for now.

As for the planner Gigi was, I want to share with you the hymn selections (feel free to Google them and read the words):
"How Firm A Foundation"
"For All The Saints"

Both of these spoke volumes to my heart during her memorial service.  Again, when I get the Scripture references, I will post those too.  Gigi was truly inspiring to me - even in death.

One other thing that just moved me - to tears (sorry Gigi) - was a selection she had found and designated to be read at her burial.  It is taken from the Kaddish (Jewish burial service):
"Only the body has died and has been laid in the dust.  The spirit lives eternally in the shelter of God's love and mercy.  Whence shall come our help and comfort?  Our help cometh from God.  He will not forsake us nor leave us in our grief.  Upon Him we cast our burden and He will grant us strength according to the days He has apportioned to us.  All life comes from Him.  All life to Him returneth.  All souls are in His keeping."
Arthur John and Viola Laura Sharp
(with Peanut)
I'm going to close this post for now (the poem that I wanted to share isn't complete just yet and I think I may just keep that for myself and my family).  The above picture is of my sweet, beloved grandparents and one of their dogs (Peanut) - actually their last four-legged companion.  Somehow, I picture them in Heaven just like this and that is such a comfort.

Be blessed,
W

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry & Bright

I Don't Believe In Superstition

Out With The Old, In With The New (Oh, Who Am I Kidding?!)