Harvest Time Again
Blown like fields of wheat, the world will bow and bend
Held between our joy and disbelief
Every trembling heart will finally face the same way
On the great day
He will be the new sunrise
Steal the darkness from our eyes
When we fail to find the words
Holy, Holy we will cry
Autumn. Fall. Familiar smells like cinnamon, apples, maple, nutmeg and pumpkins. It's harvest season again. October has always been this way for me. I posted on this a couple of years ago in more detail - yes, I went back to read it - and I just can't seem to get away from how I am affected each time around October. Don't know about you, reader, but I can't contain my excitement. Could be that the state fair is just around the corner or perhaps I know that my momma will begin her lists for those she will send baked goods to for Christmas holidays. Either way - I'm like a little girl waiting to lick the batter from the bowls!!!
From the view of just being happy it is fall and the weather will start cooling and certain critters will be slumbering soon (I'm talking: wasps, bees, bumblebees, hornets, some lizards, spiders, etc), I am just waiting to enjoy the coming months - some outside doing things with my daughter and some just curling up with a nice warm cup of cider or tea watching an old family movie or something like that. Summertime just doesn't lend itself to leisure as much as to excursion. Nothing wrong with that - I like to get away from the familiar at times. But, I really do enjoy the cooler seasons. I seem to get more done PERIOD! That is me - no frills.
Spiritually - this is the time of year where I feel God is doing more of His refining work preparing me for something. I can't explain this theologically at all. It is just a gut feeling I have. Another thing I am reminded of is the heavenly harvest that is being readied. None of us - and I mean NOBODY - knows when that will happen, but I am reminded of so many things about harvesting from watching it firsthand and hearing about it from those who grew up on farms or orchards. This is a time where fruit is gathered from what was planted months before. From a spiritual standpoint, I am reminded of when the seed of faith was planted in me and the progression I can see of growth. I also know God has definitely been tending to me - pruning me and watering me - even securing me so I grow the right direction (kind of like how you see vines secured on something to keep them from going WILD). Have I fruit to be harvested? That is a heck of a question. My hope is that as sure as He is pruning me, I have fruit He can harvest! Sometimes that is hard to see in our own lives, but others are watching and witnessing. So, let the harvest begin!!
On a side note - I began this post earlier and didn't finish. Now time has passed and I can add to it. What has burdened me of late is the condition of others. Talk about a way to take focus of SELF! First, my cousin Susan's husband, Bryan, suffered an as yet undiagnosed condition that caused him to have a seizure. He is a young man (30 years old) and by all accounts in good health. The latest is that he has congestive heart failure and there is some injury to the lower part of his brain that doctors are saying needs to heal. Secondly, my heart is heavily burdened for those who are currently experiencing or have experienced bullying of any kind! In the media of late are so many reports of teen suicides as a direct result of such irreprehensible acts. As someone who endured more than a fair share of bullying and domestic abuse (which I have come to understand was a result of being bullied and thinking that was what I deserved), I get so angry at the ones who bully. Now perhaps this hasn't touched you, dear readers, but I am willing to bet it will in one way or another. It happens on the schoolyards, the workplace, in marriages, and even [yes, even here] in the least likely place - the church. Bullying doesn't have to be violent or physical - it can be in any manner that is meant with malice towards another. We must be careful to watch for bullies on the attack and stand up for those who are not able to stand for themselves or who are too afraid to. These are two areas that have shown up to be my field to harvest in some way - and in a practical way it will be to EDIFY and build up these individuals (Bryan and those who are victims of bullying) so that they know how beautifully precious they are to me and God.
So, sorry for the sudden shift, but I cannot be silent or unmoved by what is going on inside of me.
Be blessed ~
W
On a side note - I began this post earlier and didn't finish. Now time has passed and I can add to it. What has burdened me of late is the condition of others. Talk about a way to take focus of SELF! First, my cousin Susan's husband, Bryan, suffered an as yet undiagnosed condition that caused him to have a seizure. He is a young man (30 years old) and by all accounts in good health. The latest is that he has congestive heart failure and there is some injury to the lower part of his brain that doctors are saying needs to heal. Secondly, my heart is heavily burdened for those who are currently experiencing or have experienced bullying of any kind! In the media of late are so many reports of teen suicides as a direct result of such irreprehensible acts. As someone who endured more than a fair share of bullying and domestic abuse (which I have come to understand was a result of being bullied and thinking that was what I deserved), I get so angry at the ones who bully. Now perhaps this hasn't touched you, dear readers, but I am willing to bet it will in one way or another. It happens on the schoolyards, the workplace, in marriages, and even [yes, even here] in the least likely place - the church. Bullying doesn't have to be violent or physical - it can be in any manner that is meant with malice towards another. We must be careful to watch for bullies on the attack and stand up for those who are not able to stand for themselves or who are too afraid to. These are two areas that have shown up to be my field to harvest in some way - and in a practical way it will be to EDIFY and build up these individuals (Bryan and those who are victims of bullying) so that they know how beautifully precious they are to me and God.
So, sorry for the sudden shift, but I cannot be silent or unmoved by what is going on inside of me.
Be blessed ~
W

Comments
Post a Comment