Facing Giants & Moving Mountains
Numbers 13:33 New King James Version (NKJV)
"There we saw the giants (the descendants of Anak came from the giants); and we were like grasshoppers in our own sight, and so we were in their sight.”
Ever have an impossible situation to face? I hope you said 'yes', because I'd have to hunt you down to find your secret! And, in that situation, did you feel helpless or like a grasshopper staring at the sole of a shoe? Well, it's okay. You are facing a "giant". I am facing several "giants" right now that actually woke me up at 2:30 this morning. Now, I don't normally have a problem with being awake that early - I just go back to sleep. This wasn't the case for me today. That, in and of itself, was my first "giant" to face. Let me break down the others individually.
Giant 1:
In the past few years, and I don't know if I can say it is the hand of God or just coincidence (yes, there really is no such thing - just as there is no such thing as LUCK), I have been placed in the path of former classmates who treated me less than kindly back "in the day". What I have found, curiously enough, is that I hold no ill feelings towards them. In fact, I forgave them long ago and realize that, if not for how they treated me, I would not be who I am today or have had the life experiences that I have had. Truth be told, I would likely not have gotten to a point of calling out to Jesus to save me and pull me out of the pit. So, in retrospect, I owe these classmates my thanks.
That said, there is one person who I actually have spoken with and tried to reach out to so that I can fully thank her for her role in this transformation that only took 32 years to achieve. So, what is the problem? I still feel as if she would rather I slip back into the dark corner and be hidden. That is my perception. I hope I am wrong, because I think she is savvy and strong; smart and driven; full of confidence. Being the one to hold the olive branch out is a tough place to be - probably tougher than being the one offered the peace item.
Giant 2:
Looming over my head like a swinging axe is anxiety about finding a new job. This is a tough time to be out of work and it isn't going to be easier after elections in November. I know God has the job for me already planned and in place. The trouble is it hasn't been shown to me...the one who needs that job! In the meantime, I am pinching pennies, tightening up the grip on my resources and praying I am installed in the job sooner rather than later. Folks - this near-middle age lady does NOT want to move hearth and home into her parents' house!!! Not just because it would be sad, but it would throw my family into a dynamic that I'd rather not have occur. I am already blamed for being the reason my parents cannot retire. I do have assurance from my dad that just isn't the case, but I feel like he would rather spare my feelings versus giving it to me straight. The other dynamic that I just don't have the ability to have happen is my daughter coming to resent the family that has been here for her all her life. Honestly cannot say the same of her dad's side of the family; and that is still a very sore wound she carries.
At this point, with those two giants - and that is quite enough, I wish I was David with 3 smooth stones and a slingshot so I could slay the giants. I am tired of being smaller than my situations. It is hard to look at them and realize how quickly they could overtake me. However, I am not biting my nails with worry or turning to my old vices of alcohol or whatever was handy. I am saying "My God is BIGGER" and He can overcome these things just as He overcame the world.
Let's face it. Life is gonna be full of giants for each of us and for each of us, they are as different as night and day. We live in perilous times and the future is truly uncertain - more than it ever was in generations that came before our own. I found these lyrics from a song that was on a cassette I had - one of my first Christian artists that I was exposed to. I think they are fitting to close this entry with. Meditate on them~
They're not hiding anymore, they're not ashamed anymore
Evil deeds done in secret, they're celebrating sin on the street
Consume the innocent like lions that never get enough to eat
Chorus
Evil deeds done in secret, they're celebrating sin on the street
Consume the innocent like lions that never get enough to eat
Chorus
There are giants in the land, giants in the land, giants in the land
I hear them scoff at Jesus' name
A pagan planet is their aim
They deny a Higher Power, deny the final hour is at hand
But their fortresses will crumble like castles washed away from the sand
But within our reach there is a victors sword
A mighty, sovereign Lord
The Rock of Ages, waiting to be hurled
At the giants of the world, when they challenge men of peace
Then with the shout of victory, we will bring them to there knees
We're not hiding anymore, no we're not silent anymore
We may be feeble in their eyes
But our power is not our size or our fame
We must follow His command
To claim to world in Jesus' Name
Be blessed and be a blessing,
W
Comments
Post a Comment