Leaving A Legacy....really?
My heart is heavy today. We all have times we face where we ask ourselves the question "what is all this for?" and, sometimes we find an answer that pacifies us - but it only lasts a moment. I'm struck with this question today because I heard news that a classmate of mine from high school has passed from this life to the next. From what I've heard about her, she lived a happy life and really fought the good fight against cancer. However, the battle wore her down and she has gone to be with her Savior in Heaven.
This news is just more on the sorrow that has been experienced in less than 12 months. In that time I have lost an infant cousin, 2 co-workers, a close friend and now this classmate. I realize she and I weren't friends, but I knew of her because we went to same school and had common acquaintances. A loss is still a loss regardless of how the bond is tied.
All this to say that it has got me thinking about what is my life legacy. What or how am I going to be remembered by? Who will remember me? Yes, my relatives will remember me - how could they not. I'm wondering if anyone other than family would post remembrances on a memorial site for me or would they even pause to say my name in remembrance. Why would they? I've come to realize that I truly lack real friends these days. I have lots of acquaintances and folks that share my beliefs and will pray with me when in need. The likelihood of them reacting is hard to figure, just as it is when contemplating if anyone would really care if news came that I was gone. Would they line up to comfort my daughter? Would they visit my resting place when nobody in my family was left to do so? I often wonder about this because of memories of how I was ignored for so long ~ or bullied.
Then I get to the truth - the thing that will stir remembrances is my legacy - what I've left behind. The fond memories, the laughter, the fellowship, the compassion. So that is how I live my life - loving others even if they don't return that love or compassion. Reaching out to hurting people and giving them comfort with a touch of grace. My legacy isn't going to be measured in wealth of money or material things. My legacy is going to be how I loved as Jesus has me love - I hope only that I will learn to love more like He loved. I have not yet arrived in that place.
In remembrance of:
Sonne Koerper Hetzel
CD Young
D Parker
Mona Johnson Shaw
2 names withheld for family privacy
I Fought The Good Fight
Life is a matter of choices
made at every fork in the road,
and none made for an easy way
to carry or lighten the load.
But I’ve been strong,
carried on through the fog of life;
able to say
I fought the good fight,
did my very best,
triumphed over my fears
and laid them all to rest.
I’ve made my share of mistakes,
but by my choices I still stand,
for in all my chosen paths,
there’s always been God’s hand
reaching out to guide and comfort
in each and every day,
and in all my darkest hours,
that grace has shone the way.
Carolyn Brunelle
This news is just more on the sorrow that has been experienced in less than 12 months. In that time I have lost an infant cousin, 2 co-workers, a close friend and now this classmate. I realize she and I weren't friends, but I knew of her because we went to same school and had common acquaintances. A loss is still a loss regardless of how the bond is tied.
All this to say that it has got me thinking about what is my life legacy. What or how am I going to be remembered by? Who will remember me? Yes, my relatives will remember me - how could they not. I'm wondering if anyone other than family would post remembrances on a memorial site for me or would they even pause to say my name in remembrance. Why would they? I've come to realize that I truly lack real friends these days. I have lots of acquaintances and folks that share my beliefs and will pray with me when in need. The likelihood of them reacting is hard to figure, just as it is when contemplating if anyone would really care if news came that I was gone. Would they line up to comfort my daughter? Would they visit my resting place when nobody in my family was left to do so? I often wonder about this because of memories of how I was ignored for so long ~ or bullied.
Then I get to the truth - the thing that will stir remembrances is my legacy - what I've left behind. The fond memories, the laughter, the fellowship, the compassion. So that is how I live my life - loving others even if they don't return that love or compassion. Reaching out to hurting people and giving them comfort with a touch of grace. My legacy isn't going to be measured in wealth of money or material things. My legacy is going to be how I loved as Jesus has me love - I hope only that I will learn to love more like He loved. I have not yet arrived in that place.
In remembrance of:
Sonne Koerper Hetzel
CD Young
D Parker
Mona Johnson Shaw
2 names withheld for family privacy
I Fought The Good Fight
Life is a matter of choices
made at every fork in the road,
and none made for an easy way
to carry or lighten the load.
But I’ve been strong,
carried on through the fog of life;
able to say
I fought the good fight,
did my very best,
triumphed over my fears
and laid them all to rest.
I’ve made my share of mistakes,
but by my choices I still stand,
for in all my chosen paths,
there’s always been God’s hand
reaching out to guide and comfort
in each and every day,
and in all my darkest hours,
that grace has shone the way.
Carolyn Brunelle
I've pondered this very thing as well, and then I turned my attention to what I had to lay at my Savior's feet. You continue doing the work God puts in front of you and you will have your legacy and the crowns
ReplyDeleteThank you, Kristy. You are such an encouragement to me. Like I said, my legacy is going to be evidenced by how I have loved as He has instructed me to do. My prayer is that the light that shines from that love is enouch to pierce the dark of the sorrow that has engulfed me recently. ::hugs::
Delete